Constructed by Thomas Harris early in 1666 the magnificent Organ situated within Gloucester’s beautiful Cathedral is the only surviving 17th Century Cathedral Organ to exist in England! Now comprising of four pedals and manuals the Organ has been adapted and extended over the past three Centuries. Located directly underneath the eastern portion of the Nave the clever positioning of the Organ allows for the unparalleled sounds and incredible acoustics. To test acoustics in buildings Tapping Machines are used that cleverly measure sound insulation in floors and the impact of noise. Companies such as http://www.cotswold-machinery-sales.co.uk/roscamat/electric-tapping-machines/roscamat-mosquito-electric-tapping-machine/ can provide Tapping machines for solutions to your noise and acoustic problems.
The acoustics at this beautiful Romanesque/Gothically styled masterpiece of a Cathedral are difficult to master as the huge stone pillars and magnificently high ceilings divert and direct sound in strange and unexpected ways. The World Class Gloucester, Cathedral Choir that has been in existence for over five hundred years has definitely mastered the technical difficulties of the acoustics at the Cathedral as they perform their choral masterpieces to an enthralled congregation.
In 1971 under the instruction of Dr John Saunders the Cathedral Organist of the time and consultant Ralph Downes a total redesign of the original Organ was undertaken by Norman and Beard. The Organ was once again overhauled in 1999 when a complete renovation of the pipework, soundboards, wind supply and computer system was undertaken by Nicholson and Co.